FreeBSD boots too fast on Dell PE850

Vivek Khera vivek at khera.org
Fri Aug 18 16:27:50 UTC 2006

On Aug 17, 2006, at 9:49 PM, Alan Amesbury wrote:

> adequate em(4) adapters found on the PE750 with bge(4) hardware.
> FreeBSD identifies these adapters as BCM5750A1, but Dell says they're
> actually Broadcom 5721J adapters instead.  See
>
> http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/pedge/en/850_specs.pdf

I'm not sure how much to believe the dell docs... on a PE800, they
claim the system has a BCM5721 chip, which is how it was coded into
the bge driver when I first got this machine and helped get patches
built for it.  However, the pciconf database claims it is a
"BCM5750A1".  Which one is correct?  I suspect the latter.

I have PR's open on resolving this inconsistency, but they are
obviously low priority.

I have no problems with the delay in the 'active' status, but I hard-
code IP configuration since it is a server.