gvinum / FreeBSD 6.1 / stale subdisks

Dmitry Pryanishnikov dmitry at atlantis.dp.ua
Fri Aug 18 07:08:24 UTC 2006

Hello!

On Thu, 17 Aug 2006, Steve Peterson wrote:
> I'm running FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE on i386 with a stock kernel, and am trying to
> build a 4 disk RAID5 array using vinum.  The issue is that, once the system
> is rebooted after initially creating the array, the subdisks come up as
> stale.
>
> 1 volume:
> V vol1                  State: down     Plexes:       1 Size:        585 GB
>
> 1 plex:
> P vol1.p0            R5 State: down     Subdisks:     4 Size:        585 GB
>
> 4 subdisks:
> S vol1.p0.s0            State: stale    D: drive01      Size:        195 GB
> S vol1.p0.s1            State: stale    D: drive02      Size:        195 GB
> S vol1.p0.s2            State: stale    D: drive03      Size:        195 GB
> S vol1.p0.s3            State: stale    D: drive04      Size:        195 GB
> gvinum -> quit

  Try to issue 'start' command against your volume:

gvinum start vol1

It seems that gvinum requires this action for newly-created volumes (luckily
only once). If so, this fact should be stressed in both gvinum(8) and
the Handbook. Also, the Handbook says that it covers the knowlege about
5.5 and 6.1 versions, so remnants of non-GEOM vinum(4) (which is defunct and
unavailable at least in 6.x) should be removed for the sake of clarity.
I'm not sure whether BUGS section in gvinum(8) should refer to the missing
functionality of defunct vinum(4).

Sincerely, Dmitry
--
Atlantis ISP, System Administrator