IBM xSeries 336 dual Xeon hangs on boot when APIC enabled

Jack Vogel jfvogel at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 17:55:27 UTC 2006

On 8/13/06, Arjan van Leeuwen <avleeuwen at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm trying to boot FreeBSD 6.1-RELEASE/amd64 on an IBM xSeries 336 machine
> with dual Xeons 3.2GHz installed.
>
> The installation was successful, but
> if I try to boot the SMP kernel, it hangs after detection of SCSI and ATA
> devices (possibly when doing the initialization of the mpt0 RAID controller,
> or when it tries to start the second CPU?).

[ ...]

Couple questions come to mind: First, will it work if you install i386? Second,
had it ever worked on this system with older releases?

The reason you dont see the second cpu without ACPI is that IBM does not
have the legacy MP table stuff set up, they require the ACPI tables to do
MP (this is intentional not an oversight).

A useful exercise would be to do a pciconf when you are up and see what
pci devices are unknown.

Good luck,

Jack