Stability of ICH7 sata on FreeBSD 6.1 ?

Miroslav Lachman 000.fbsd at quip.cz
Fri Aug 11 19:26:54 UTC 2006

Mike Jakubik wrote:

> Dominic Marks wrote:
>
>> Jerome Sobecki wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> We have here some Supermicro Superserver 5015P-TR
>>> (http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5015/SYS-5015P-TR.cfm)
>>>
>>> Those servers, with a ICH7 controler, are currently working with FreeBSD
>>> 6.1 and everything seems ok, except that it's the third time, on two
>>> different machines, that the system crash because it lost is hard drive.
>>>

> I have two Supermicro PDSMi MB servers in productions and i am also
> experiencing mysterious disk loses. The system continues to function
> fine, as i am using gmirror, however something strange is going on.
> Sometimes the disks come back, sometimes i need to reboot the system to
> get them back. I am using Seagate ST3160812AS 3.AAE drives. The drives
> reports no SMART errors, and the cables are secure. The drives are
> attached to a hot swap back plane.

I have same problem on ASUS RS120 with Seagate ST3250820AS/3.AAC drives
(disk loses, system reboots, slow read/write speed), but I think this is
drive problem - all drives has high Reallocated_Sector_Ct value in SMART
(above 130 reallocated sectors after few weeks, some drives has more
then 100 after few days).
Please let me now, if you also have nonzero Reallocated_Sector_Ct in
smartctl -A output.
I will test those servers with brand new Samsung drives, hope that it helps.

Miroslav Lachman