error: syntax error before "_X_SENTINEL"

Norberto Meijome freebsd at meijome.net
Fri Aug 11 07:30:32 UTC 2006

Hi Chris,

On Thu, 10 Aug 2006 15:45:18 -0700
"Chris H." <fbsd at 1command.com> wrote:

> xorg-libraries-6.9.0 X11 libraries and headers from X.Org
>
> xorg-server-6.9.0_4 X.Org X server and related programs

These 2 are XOrg packages

> xproto-6.6.2        X11 protocol headers

and this one is , i think, XFree86 .

if you check the files installed by xorg-libraries and xproto, you'll see that
they install the same files. if you verify the installed files against the
package, I guess you'll see that xorg complains some files dont match the spec.

I suggest (backup first ;) ) uninstalling xproto , reinstall xorg-libraries (to
make sure you have a consistent set of libraries + include files, and then
rebuild all dependencies against them. This process fixed the issue for me.

You should not be mixing XFree86 and XOrg libraries/include files.

Also, you may want to set in /etc/make.conf :

X_WINDOW_SYSTEM=xorg

good luck,
Beto