Dell Server 2900 with the new Intel processor Woodcrest

Michael Vince mv at thebeastie.org
Thu Aug 10 03:30:57 UTC 2006

freebsd at bitfreak.org wrote:

> Thomas Agersborg wrote:
>
>> I want to purchase a Dell Server 2900 with these specifications
>
> <...>
>
>> Dual-Core 64-bit Intel Xeon processor 5160
>
> <...>
>
>> 4GB (4x1GB) 667MHz FBD memory (max 32GB)
>
> <...>
>
>> is there any issues which I need to
>> be aware of in regard to the server and FreeBSD?
>

> You'll want (need) to run amd64 instead of i386.  You can run i386,
> but the 64-bit capabilities will go to waste.  You also won't get to
> use all of your 4 GB of RAM due to memory-mapping of hardware I/O
> addresses. The amd64 version does not have these problems.  All the
> major software is now 64-bit clean, but you may have trouble with some
> desktop-type software (mplayer) and other less-common ports.  Beyond
> that, all is good--PowerEdge+FreeBSD is an excellent combination.  We
> even have IPMI support!

Just a few extra notes I could add. Its possible to use just the PAE
kernel config with i386 to get access to all your ram, I only do it
because I need 1.4 Java which is only really available on i386 but most
people would use the 1.5 Java instead, also I need the i386 Perl Oracle
driver as there is no AMD64 version of that. Other then those I would
just use the AMD64 FreeBSD.
I did see a commit on that new Perc5 Raid card somewhere I don't know if
its in 6.1Release or just 6stable so I guess the only risk is that may
have to run 6-Stable till 6.2

Mike