Safe card to replace for ICP Vortex GDT8514RZ ...

User Freebsd freebsd at hub.org
Tue Aug 1 14:27:10 UTC 2006

On Tue, 1 Aug 2006, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 10:49:27PM -0300, User Freebsd wrote:
>
>> Official word from Adaptec is that FreeBSD is no longer a supported
>> platform, so, I either live with the deadlocks, or try and figure out a
>> suitable replacement for the card ...
>
> That's really really bad news. Oddly, ICP Vortex Germany told me
> the opposite wr/t to their new line of cards. They said, they
> were working on full FreeBSD support.

Great, that definitely wasn't the feel that I got from them ... I've been
using Adaptec products since early 90's, mainly because they have always
been the 'tried-n-true' product ...

As I mentioned to someone else, I'm willing to endure having the server
hang up a few times in order to debug the problem, and fix the driver, but
any correspondance that I actually got answers back on gave me the feel
that I was on my own ... my previous email to this was meant to warn
others to think twice, especially with newer FreeBSD boxes, about going
with anything that runs on the iir(4) driver ...

  ----