Pros and Cons of amd64 (versus i386).

Dmitry Morozovsky marck at rinet.ru
Sat Apr 8 16:41:40 UTC 2006

On Fri, 7 Apr 2006, Peter Jeremy wrote:

PJ> >I know that what I should do is install i386 on the client and test again, but
PJ> >doing that will lose my only 64 bit environment so I am loathe to do so. Any
PJ> >comments ?
PJ>
PJ> Backup your amd64 environment and install i386.  You can re-install
PJ> the amd64 once the testing is finished.  The best benchmark is always
PJ> your own application.

Or, even better, use spare disk or at least spare slice.  Having fresh good
backup never hurts though ;-)

For local tinderbox I have the following partitioning scheme:

part	size	purpose
ad0s1a	2G	RELENG_6/amd64
ad0s1b	2G	swap/dumps
ad0s1d	2G	RELENG_5/amd64
ad0s1e	2G	RELENG_6/i386
ad0s1f	2G	RELENG_5/i386
ad0s1g	2G	HEAD/amd64
ad0s1h	2G	HEAD/i386

ad0s2	rest	all version-independent data, such as sources, ports, /usr/obj
		and homedirs

This seems to be useful, if you do not use/check huge packages such as
OopenOffice.org; in the latter case, you can increase partitions size
accordingly.

Sincerely,