Jail to jail network performance?

Craig Boston craig at feniz.gank.org
Mon Sep 26 17:39:32 PDT 2005

On Mon, Sep 26, 2005 at 12:06:39PM -0700, Brandon Fosdick wrote:
> Ideally I would like a daemon like socat that can connect/merge two
> sockets into one, effectively creating a direct connection and
> eliminating a copy. But AFAICT that isn't possible with the current
> interface.

It depends how dirty you want your hands to get.  Such a thing can be
achieved.  Not so much the merging, but it is possible to pass a file
descriptor over a UNIX domain socket, so in theory a small daemon which
was able to access both file systems should be able to do a handoff.  It
would likely mean modifying the MySQL client library, however.

See the sendmsg(2) and recvmsg(2) functions, specifically the SOL_SOCKET
flag in the recvmsg man page.

Craig