5.3 -> 5.4 breaks ATA (Intel ICH2)

Tim Howe tim.howe at celebrityresorts.com
Sat Sep 24 12:00:05 PDT 2005

Peter Jeremy <PeterJeremy at optushome.com.au> writes:

> Did you reboot after the 5.3 install or do the upgrade whilst booted
> from that install disk?

I rebooted into the freshly installed 5.3 system and it worked
perfectly.  The upgrade went fine also.  It was only upon booting into
the 5.4 kernel that I had problems.

> > Further investigation found that it wasn't able to find the ATA HDD
> > (master on ata0) at all, but could find the ATAPI CDROM drive
> > (master on ata0).

> You shouldn't have two masters on ata0.  I hope that's a typo.

It is.  That should read "CDROM drive (master on ata1)".

> How far through the boot process do you get?  I gather the loader runs
> successfully and loads the kernel but the kernel can't find ad0.

That's correct.

> Does it find the controller (ata0 or whatever)?

I believe so.  I'm not near that machine presently, but I know it found
the ATA PCI controller because it was able to find the CDROM drive.  I
know it displayed a message saying "ata0: something or other".  If it
displayed anything (not an error) does that mean that ata0 was found
then?

 - Tim