Strange case of root filesystem corruption

Joel Rees rees at ddcom.co.jp
Mon Sep 19 20:10:21 PDT 2005

On 平成 17/09/19, at 5:32, Ulf Magnusson wrote:

> Some more info:
>
> Windows is installed on the same drive. When I launched Partition
> Magic
> it complained about the LBA and CHS parameters for a partition on the
> drive not being identical.
>
> Just in case it's helpful..

FWIW, I've had bad luck with using Partition Magic more than two or
three times on a drive. I just don't even use it any more.

Also, I've had bad luck using MSW-side software to do anything with
the partitions after *BSD partitions are cut. MSWindows can't seem to
obey its own rules.

If you have to dual-boot, cut the primary (BIOS-level) partitions
once with MSW (and PM, if you must), then leave the BIOS-level
partitions alone. Better yet, use two drives.

Joel Rees   <rees at ddcom.co.jp>
digitcom, inc.   株式会社デジコム
Kobe, Japan   +81-78-672-8800
** <http://www.ddcom.co.jp> **