audio (acdt01) dump broken? (BETA4 (5))

John-Mark Gurney gurney_j at resnet.uoregon.edu
Mon Sep 19 02:55:48 PDT 2005

Emanuel Strobl wrote this message on Mon, Sep 19, 2005 at 01:44 +0200:
> tonight I wanted to consolidate (for an upcoming trekstor i.beat organix)
> my oggs and therefore eval the difference between reencoded
> ogg at 320vbr->ogg at 112 and the original reread wavs(tracks)->ogg at 112vbr.
> Unfortunately I couldn't grab my CDs anymore. I can remember I had used 'dd
> if=/dev/acd0txx of=/tmp/track.xx bs=2352' but this doesn't work anymore. I
> can't replay the bits and with oggenc I get:
> ERROR: Input file "track15.wav" is not a supported format

[...]

> What am I missing?

That the raw audio data on a cd is raw, and not a wav file... WAV files
have a bit of information that contains what the sampling rate is, the
channels and the bits per sample:
hydrogen,ttyp4,/home/johng,504$file /tmp/quarter.wav
/tmp/quarter.wav: RIFF (little-endian) data, WAVE audio, Microsoft PCM, 8 bit, mono 22254 Hz

so, if you want, you can use sox to convert the raw audio data into
wav:
sox -t cdr rawcddata.cdr somefile.wav

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579