vinum or gvinum

Stijn Hoop stijn at win.tue.nl
Thu Sep 8 04:59:41 PDT 2005

Hi,

First: do _NOT_ use vinum on 5.4, use gvinum.

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 12:43:01PM +0100, Tomas Palfi wrote:
> I am still struggling to set up a one way mirror on two 72GB disks on
> 5.4 intel platform, however, there seems to be a lot of confusion about
> what to use in the first place. this is vinum v gvinum.

gvinum. Just to be safe you could move the vinum command and kernel modules
out of the way.

> Tried to configure the same with gvinum replicating the vinum.conf,
> however, still nothing.

Did you start from scratch by wiping the former configuration without loading
gvinum?

Use

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/da0 bs=1m count=128

to be sure. Do this WITHOUT loading any of the vinum modules.

> You know, when you are creating the vinum
> volume in bsdlabel and offsetting it with 16 blocks giving it vinum
> format, do you change this for gvinum as well??? my config would not
> have it, I can save it?

I don't understand this. Here is my gvinum.conf for my mirrored system
at home:

%%%
drive pain	device /dev/ad4s1e
drive panic	device /dev/ad6s1e

volume root
  plex org concat
    sd length 192m drive pain
  plex org concat
    sd length 192m drive panic
volume swap
  plex org concat
    sd length 2080m drive pain
  plex org concat
    sd length 2080m drive panic
volume usr
  plex org concat
    sd length 6g drive pain
  plex org concat
    sd length 6g drive panic
volume var
  plex org concat
    sd length 256m drive pain
  plex org concat
    sd length 256m drive panic
volume local
  plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive pain
  plex org concat
    sd length 0 drive panic
%%%

Be aware that gvinum's configuration syntax only allows the short forms
for many keywords.

/dev/ad4s1 and /dev/ad6s1 have this label:

%%%
[stijn at firsa] <~> sudo bsdlabel ad4s1
# /dev/ad4s1:
8 partitions:
#        size   offset    fstype   [fsize bsize bps/cpg]
  a:   393216      281    4.2BSD        0     0     0
  c: 156249009        0    unused        0     0         # "raw" part, don't edit
  e: 156248993       16     vinum
%%%

> I also tried the geom_vinum_load="YES" in the /boot/loader.conf,
> however, should I have vinum.autostart="YES" there as well for the
> gvinum??

No, vinum.autostart is for legacy vinum.

> On another occasion I have edited /etc/rc.d/vinum changing the
> start_cmd to "gvinum start" - nothing happened???

Don't do that, it's not necessary to edit anything in /etc/rc.d.

> Also in the vinum.conf file that I laboriously create each time I try,
> is the
>
> drive Master device /dev/da0s1h
>
> with the h which is the slice which I create in the bsdlabel or is it
> the device name /dev/da0s1a for the root volume?? Non of it worked for
> me.

Use only vinum BSD partitions for gvinum drive declarations.

> Help me out from here please.  This is supposed to be a production
> server and I have spent two days on it already.

Keep at it until it makes sense, that's what I did. There are a lot of
concepts to get until it clicks.

HTH,

--Stijn

--