ndis not working

Ian Larsen drblast at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 21:10:37 PDT 2005

Hello all,

I just got a new HP ze2000 laptop with a Turion amd64 processor, and I've
got 5-stable running on it. (Updated to stable from 5.4 Release this
morning.)

Everything works great except for the wireless card. ndiscvt works properly,
and the kernel module loads just fine (an improvement over 5.4 release,
which paniced on driver load) I've tried a number of different drivers,
including:

The generic 64-bit broadcom ones from here:
http://www.linuxant.com/driverloader/drivers.php

64 bit drivers from Acer at:
ftp://ftp.support.acer-euro.com/notebook/ferrari_4000/driver/winxp64bit/80211g.zip

pciconf -lv gives:

none5 at pci5:2:0: class=0x028000 card=0x1355103c chip=0x431814e4 rev=0x02
hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Broadcom Corporation'
class = network

The acer drivers match the chip number exactly, as I found them on the
Ndiswrapper list
http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/List (driver #31)

The odd thing is that under Gentoo, the wireless card works just fine with
Ndiswrapper, using the aforementioned Acer drivers.

To compile, I'm doing
iconv -c -f utf-16 -t ascii bcmwl5.inf > bcmwl5.inf.ascii
ndiscvt -i bcmwl5.inf.ascii -s BCMWL564.SYS -o ndis_driver_data.o
make && make install

And like I mentioned, the drivers compile and load just fine, but the
network interface isn't available afterward (ifconfig -a)

Please send any suggestions, I'm not a big fan of Gentoo and I'd really like
to get FreeBSD fully working on this laptop. :-)

Thanks!
Ian Larsen