atapicam + MO drive weirdness in 6.0

Jason Harmening jason.harmening at gmail.com
Mon Sep 5 10:39:04 PDT 2005

On my amd64 desktop, I have a Fujitsu DynaMO 2.3G ATAPI MO drive, and
I've always had to use atapicam with it because there's no native ATA
driver. The drive is genuinely capable of UDMA33, and I have
hw.ata.atapi_dma turned on. In the past (with 5.x) the SCSI device listing
that comes from atapicam at boot time has always shown the full transfer
rate, as follows:

da0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <FUJITSU MCJ3230AP 0030> Removable Optical SCSI-4 device
da0: 33.000MB/s transfers

But since I upgraded to 6.0-BETA a month and a half ago, it doesn't look as if
DMA is being enabled:

da0 at ata0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <FUJITSU MCJ3230AP 0030> Removable Optical SCSI-4 device
da0: 3.300MB/s transfers

My UDMA33 CD burner still shows 33 MB/s in its atapicam SCSI listing, so I
know UDMA transfers aren't completely broken with atapicam. And I can't
seem to use atacontrol to manually change the transfer mode, because
atacontrol has changed and requires an actual ata device file, as opposed to
the old "atacontrol <channel#> <mode0> <mode1>" syntax. I can still use the
MO drive, but I'd like to be able to tap into its full transfer rate.

I'm running the latest BETA4 now, and the problem is still present.  It's not
a showstopper for me by any means, but both this problem and the removal of
the old manual atacontrol syntax seem to be unfortunate regressions in the
new ATA subsystem.

Any help or further explanation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason Harmening