Inetd not starting

Doug Barton dougb at FreeBSD.org
Mon Sep 5 03:30:42 PDT 2005

Jack Raats wrote:
> At this moment I've a strange error. inetd is not started after a reboot,
> but after entering inetd on the commandline, the deamon is started
>
> I'm using freebsd 5.4-stable. I just recompiled the system so with the
> latest patches. in /etc/rc.conf I've enabled inetd.
>
> Can anyone give me a clude to look for?
>
> Met vriendelijke groeten Jack Raats

First, please don't cross post to -questions and any other list. If you're
in doubt, please post just to -questions.

Second, you said that you rebuilt your system recently, did you run
mergemaster afterwards? If not, please read the man page and then do that.

Third, exactly what is in /etc/rc.conf regarding inetd?

Last, what is the output of: /etc/rc.d/inetd start

hth,

Doug