HEADS UP! 6.0-RELEASE coming

Philippe PEGON Philippe.Pegon at crc.u-strasbg.fr
Mon Oct 31 11:21:25 PST 2005

Marc Olzheim wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 31, 2005 at 08:36:42AM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>>Anyone having updates for my showstopper page, please, notify me...
>>>
>>>http://www.stack.nl/%7Emarcolz/FreeBSD/showstoppers.html
>>
>>The pty problem is likely a side effect of known locking problems with
>>ttys and ptys in general.  This probably the weakest part of the kernel
>>right now and I don't know of a good work-around for apps that use these
>>extensively.  That said, there doesn't seem to be much of a problem with
>>casual use; I use screen(1) quite a bit on my production 6.0-RC
>>mailserver+firewall.
>

> I know it doesn't trigger too often for most users, but still, for us,
> once a week per server on 2 production servers we installed FreeBSD 5
> and 6 on, is way too often. :-(

for information, we have the same problem on our productions servers
with FreeBSD 5 and I know that we are not alone. We hoped a lot for a
solution with FreeBSD 6 after this thread :

http://lists.freebsd.org/mailman/htdig/freebsd-stable/2005-June/016154.html

but I have just tested with FreeBSD 6.0-RC1 and the problem is always
there :-(

--
Philippe PEGON