Easy way to kill a 5.x/6.x box as a basic user.

Carl Makin carl at xena.IPAustralia.gov.au
Thu Oct 27 17:12:30 PDT 2005

Morning All,

I've been playing with some GIS software and 32Mb TIFF images.  Running
ImageMagick's "convert" utility  under my normal user login to convert
the image to gif or jpeg blows away the system every time.  No panic
seen on the console and no core dump found, the system just quietly
reboots.  Upon reboot /var is full and corrupt and takes ages for the
background fsck to fix it so I normally boot into single user mode and
do it myself.

Is anyone else seeing this?  I can happily supply an image that causes
the problem if someone wants to try it.

Carl.