twa kernel panic under heavy IO

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Mon Oct 24 11:11:00 PDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-10-24 at 11:13 -0500, Dan Rue wrote:
> At one point, I received the following error message just before the
> machine locked up:
>
> >Oct 12 11:36:13 leopard kernel: initiate_write_filepage: already started
>
> I grepped for that error message in the freebsd kernel source, and found
> it in sys/ufs/ffs/ffs_softdep.c on line 3580.  What makes it really
> interesting is the comment above where the error is thrown:
>
> if (pagedep->pd_state & IOSTARTED) {
>         /*
>          * This can only happen if there is a driver that does not
>          * understand chaining. Here biodone will reissue the call
>          * to strategy for the incomplete buffers.
>          */
>         printf("initiate_write_filepage: already started\n");
>         return;
> }

Fascinating.  This is the same message I saw with the panic I reported
in kern/87861.  I'll bet that your wedges and my panics are related
somehow.  Unfortunately mine are not fixed in 6.0.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com     http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/