FreeBSD 6.0 rc1 guest under vmware-workstation-5.0.0.13124-r2 on linux host (boot error)

Ralph Hempel rhempel at bmts.com
Sun Oct 23 00:09:46 PDT 2005

Ralph Hempel wrote:
> Robin wrote:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I thought I'd give the new RC a whirl under vmware, after setting the
>> guest to boot from the CDROM (which was the CD1 .ISO), shortly I
>> recieved this error:
>>
>> http://xs.mw/temp/freebsd6rc1_vmware_boot_error.png
>> (BTX halted)
>

> Yep. Me too. I googled this and it appears to be a known
> issue with the IDE CDROM driver in 6.0

One way to work around the problem is to connect the virtual
CD to the FreeBSD ISO image instead of burning an actual CD.

Another is to do an FTP install using FileZilla or some other
FTP server program on the host Windows system.

All in all VMWare really is a pretty cool way to experiment
with different FreeBSD installs before committing to a real
box!

Cheers, Ralph