Problems with PCI SATA controller (bug in ATA driver? both ATAng and ATAmkIII)

Alson van der Meulen alson+ml at alm.flutnet.org
Wed Oct 19 21:25:13 PDT 2005

(Please CC me in replies as I'm not a subscriber of this list)

* Brooks Davis <brooks at one-eyed-alien.net> [2005-10-20 06:15]:
> On Thu, Oct 20, 2005 at 04:30:48AM +0200, Alson van der Meulen wrote:
> > Since this is a completely different mainboard, it seems clearly a
> > software issue to me. The built-in ICH6 controller works fine however,
> > so it may be PDC*0518/SII311* specific (which basically means any PCI
> > SATA controller available locally).
>
> The SII3112 is a piece of crap that won't work reliably.  Order
> something better (Soren recommends Promise cards).

That's why I ordered a Promise SATAII 150 TX4. Only when I encountered
the problems described in my emails, I got a controller from the only
different brand I could find: SII (which costs about 125 euro because it
has an Adaptec sticker on it, this thing is definitely going back), to
rule out a broken controller. Most of my testing is done with the
PDC40518, I occasionally use the SII3112A for comparison purposes (just
an extra data point). Because the Promise cards are supposed to be
pretty well supported, I'm suprised to encounter these issues in both
ATAng and ATAmkIII.

BTW: The ICH6 is now being stress tested for 5 hours, and still working
fine, so the rest of the system is definitely stable.

Alson