new FreeBSD-webpage

Greg Barniskis nalists at scls.lib.wi.us
Thu Oct 6 16:13:51 PDT 2005

Dan Ponte wrote:

>>I doubt the primary goal here
>>was to appear trendy.
>

> Well, it certainly seems as if that was one of the goals, seeing how the
> new site uses quite a few new webdesign concepts that came into
> existence in the past few years, while providing little benefit in the
> way of content or usability.

well, usability is not an entirely objective measure, but there are
objective aspects to it. Like, not having to scroll to find crucial
navigation links and the Search box, or to see what the latest
security advisory was. Like, reducing 20-30 headings in big "stacks"
to clearly bounded clusters of "7 +/- 2", fostering rapid
understanding. I think usability is measurably up.

I suppose in sense it does break down in a way that the old site was
"more usable" for experts (usable once one had studied on it awhile,
that is), while the new layout might be more usable for newbies. But
that doesn't mean it was "for newbies". I like it, and I've been
poking at the web site for a decade now. I was put off for maybe 15
secs the first time I looked at it, then I started to accept and
appreciate (aw, who can resist that big smilin' Beastie ;).

It's got some quirks. I'm seeing some more things suffer from fixed
widths (and fixed heights, like the mirror selector widget -- px is
just not the most user-friendly unit of measure), but the path it's
on seems a good one. Like Kris said, if you've got a specific
problem, constructively suggest a specific solution (other than just
reverting).

South Central Library System (SCLS)
Library Interchange Network (LINK)
<gregb at scls.lib.wi.us>, (608) 266-6348