new FreeBSD-webpage

Murray Stokely murray at freebsd.org
Thu Oct 6 15:42:14 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 06:15:41PM -0400, Dan Ponte wrote:
> One idea is to revert to the old design, which suited people's needs
> just fine. However, I doubt that will happen.

Uhm, it didn't suit people's needs just fine.  It was total crap with
dozens of disorganized links all over the front page and second level
pages topping 100k as they had just grown larger and larger over time
and noone had stepped back to look at how bad it all was for someone
coming to the site for the first time to find any useful information.
I've had so many people ask 'where did all that new content come from
about advocacy and such?'.  The answer is it was there before just
hidden in the complexity.

This is not the appropriate forum for armchair web design discussions.
If you are interested in tweaking the new design then join the -www@
list.  Better yet, you could have participated in the redesign
discussions there over the past 6 months.  Patches will be addressed
first.  Second will be specific suggestions about regressions in
useability (many have been fixed within hours of being brought up on
the www@ list).  I doubt you'll find anyone interested in acting on
any 'I liked it better before' mails.

Thanks for Kris and others on this list trying to keep things specific
and constructive.  Let's let this thread die on stable@ and move it to
www@ where it belongs.

    - Murray