new FreeBSD-webpage

Dan Ponte dcp1990 at neptune.atopia.net
Thu Oct 6 13:43:32 PDT 2005

On Thu, Oct 06, 2005 at 08:22:06PM +0300, Tuomo Latto <djv at mbnet.fi> was witnessed plotting the following conspiracy:
> Alexander S. Usov wrote:
> >>Just pointed firefox to freebsd.org and I was greeted with a new look!
> > And in general, I have already heard from quite a lot of people today that
> > the old design was quite authentic and recognizable, while the new one
> > looks as a quite standard portal.
>
> Yecch. All ugly and businesslike. This is what you'd expect from
> all sorts of companies that are all marketing and no information.
>

> You'd expect popups from the links on the top (they look like that
> sort of links), but none seem to appear and I've just wasted time
> waiting for them to appear.
> BTW, I pretty much hate popups because they seldom work
> properly and they always seem kind of sluggish. Only thing that's
> worse than having to use them is having something that looks like
> them but is not.
>

> A lot of stuff has been removed from plain sight which means
> more clicking and scrolling and searching and waiting.
> Oh yes, let's all start burying information..
>
> Having some of the information hidden in plain sight is a nice
> touch. I mean that release stuff and "shortcuts".
> The marketing BS filter behind my eyes blocks most of the content
> on the site pretty well as it is but that release stuff and
> "shortcuts" seem to have been designed to get filtered out.
> It actually requires me conscious effort to read them.
>

> With Opera, about 40% of the screen space is left unused.
> I *liked* the quick links the old one had on the sides.
>

> Have you tried it with lynx?
> Lynx Version 2.8.5rel.1 (04 Feb 2004) doesn't seem to handle XML,
> so when you're in a pinch with your fw/gw machine that doesn't have
> X installed and you quickly need to access eg. some documentation
> on the site, you're out of luck.
>

> The old one was better.

I second that all the way. Personally, I feel that the FreeBSD project
is doing too much in the way of appearing "trendy" to attract new users,
and it's at the expense of its existing userbase. Not to mention that
the old site rendered perfectly in elinks, while the new one is a mess
(scrolling all over the place).
-Dan
--
Dan Ponte