Odd boot problem

Joao Barros joao.barros at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 07:05:04 PST 2005

On 11/5/05, Joao Barros <joao.barros at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I needed to add an IDE disk to an already running SCSI booting machine
> for testing.
> Recently upgraded to 6.0 :) with the IDE disk connected to the
> machine, although not mounted.
> After a make kernel the machine boots fine but only if I have the IDE
> disk connected.
> Booting from the scsi disk I can clearly see it's trying to find the
> load from the ide disk.
> I tried 'atacontrol detach ata0' and reinstalling the kernel and tried
> a bsdlabel -B da0 but I still get the error, boot message follows:
>
> F1 FreeBSD
>
> Default: F1
>
> Invalid partition
> Invalid partition
> No /boot/loader
>
> FreeBSD/i386 boot
> Default: 0:ad(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel
> boot:
>

> I tried 0:da(0,a)/boot/kernel/kernel but still no go.
> How can I fix this?
>

> --
> Joao Barros

One more odd thing I noticed:
With ad0 attached like as before this problem occurred I correctly see
this at the loader:
F1 FreeBSD
F5 Drive 1

Drive 1 is a raid array on another controller.

With ad0 disconnected and da0 being the boot drive I only see:
F1 FreeBSD

Considering that doing a make work && kernel with a ad0(which I guess
BIOS will see as the new drive 0) attached after the initial system
installation on da0 rendered booting from
da0 unusable, I think something very wrong must be happening.
The disk to consider writing any new boot information should be the
one where / lives in, not disk 0 reported by the BIOS. Well, that's my
view of it anyway...

I'm really unable to restore booting capabilities to da0 so any hints
are highly appreciated.

--
Joao Barros