IP Firewalling by DNS name

bruce at nikkel.com bruce at nikkel.com
Tue May 31 10:48:35 PDT 2005

On Tue, May 31, 2005 at 04:43:16PM +0200, Ivan Voras wrote:
> Is it possible to use ipfw to filter packets by domain name?
>
> What I need it for: I'd like to allow ssh logins only from a specific
> TLD (by reverse lookup...) - maybe there's another way?

Access control based on the reverse lookup of an IP address is a
dangerous idea in general. Anyone who manages their own reverse DNS
could bypass the security simply by creating a DNS entry. If someone
controls the in-addr.arpa zone for a particular IP range, they can make
those IPs resolve with any FQDN they want, even with domains they don't
own.

Bruce Nikkel