IP Firewalling by DNS name

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Tue May 31 09:31:53 PDT 2005

Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-stable-local at be-well.no-ip.com> wrote:
 > Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de> writes:
 > > Ivan Voras <ivoras at fer.hr> wrote:
 > > > As I understand it, sshd actually accepts connections
 > > > prior to checking hosts.allow?
 > >
 > > Yes, the connection is accepted first, because there is
 > > no information available about it before it is accepted.
 > > But if the check fails, the connection will be closed
 > > immediately.
 >
 > Well, that's not necessarily the best way to explain it.  When you're
 > working with TCP wrappers, you're running out of inetd(8), so there
 > isn't really any sshd at all until the wrappers have decided to allow
 > the connection.

I assume he's not using inetd(8) for ssh (which is not a
good ide ain general, and it's not the default anyway).
Note that sshd(8) supports hosts_access(3) directly without
the help of inetd(8).

 > > > In hosts.allow, there's an example for sshd but it contains:
 > > >
 > > > # Wrapping sshd(8) is not normally a good idea, but if you
 > > > # need to do it, here's how
 > > > #sshd : .evil.cracker.example.com : deny
 > > >
 > > > Why it's not a good idea? :)
 > >
 > > There are several reasons.  First, it relies on DNS, which
 > > is not necessarily a good idea.  If someone can spoof your
 > > DNS (which is not as difficult as many people think it is),
 > > you're toast.
 > >
 > > Second, SSH provides authentication mechanisms which are
 > > much more secure, such as public key authentication.
 > > Also, SSH uses host keys for identification, so you don't
 > > have to rely on DNS.
 >
 > The reason that it's generally considered a bad idea, though, is just
 > that it's *slow*.

No.  If you're not running it via inetd(8), then it's
actually pretty fast (except for the DNS lookups which
can take a while, buth that's not an issue in this
particular case).

Best regards
   Oliver

"I have stopped reading Stephen King novels.
Now I just read C code instead."
        -- Richard A. O'Keefe