Poor network performance: a lot of timeouts

Imobach González Sosa imobachgs at banot.net
Sun May 29 14:10:41 PDT 2005

Hi all,

Ok, I'm new to FreeBSD (for second time :)) and I'm getting an strange
behaviour. I don't know if you could help me, but I've to try. I've read the
handbook, manpages and search google for a while, but I don't know how to
solve it.

I have some machines in my network, connected to Internet with and ADSL line.
All those machines have GNU/Linux systems (and a laptop with Windows). I've
installed FreeBSD recently (5.4) on my desktop machine and it performs badly
in the net.

I'll explain: I've got a lot of timeouts using fetch, firefox, links, ftp...
etc. I thought that could be a hardware problem, but I connected this box and
my laptop to a hub and, using ethereal (on the laptop), I looked the traffic
searching for troubles.

And that's what I saw: sometimes, my FreeBSD box sends a package and receive
no answer. Then, it have to wait for timeout and try again... and again...
Sometimes the other peer finally answer, and sometimes not. DNS, HTTP, FTP...
nothing seems to work properly.

Pretty amazing, huh? Any idea? Something I must know about bsd's TCP/IP? I'm
gonna cry... :(

Thank you all in advance.

--
EuropeSwPatentFree
(o_.'   Imobach González Sosa   imobachgs en banot.net