Lifetime of FreeBSD branches

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Fri May 27 13:22:12 PDT 2005

Scott Long wrote:

> Yeah, and what I'm trying to do is smooth the bumps for the long term.
> The 4.x->5.x transition was simply a gigantic mess for users, and it was
> largely a function of it being 4+ years in the making.

<rant>It still _is_ a gigantic mess.  My hosted 5.3-stable server just
crapped itself for the second time this year, for no apparent reason.  I
suggest  reestablishing 4.x as the "production" tree and continuing to
maintain it for a while, including making releases, and regressing 5.x
to what it is and probably will be for quite a while: "experimental".</rant>

mkb.