Lifetime of FreeBSD branches

Francisco Reyes lists at natserv.com
Fri May 27 07:25:57 PDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Scott Long wrote:

>> Is the goal to have a new major branch every 2 years?
>
> Yes.  This will allow us to pace our major development projects much
> better than we have in the past.

Someone mentioned 5.X will be supported till 2007 (or at least that's the
plan). So will, in average, branches be supported 2 years after a new one
takes over?

Sounds like a good strategy for most shops. I can imagine that for a big
shop with lots of machines it may be a bit agressive, but I am not one of
them. :-).. besides big shops likely have developed entire systems around
how to deploy the OS to many machines.