problems with nfs+TCP - Resource temporarily unavailable

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Thu May 26 05:37:41 PDT 2005

On Thu, 26 May 2005, Bernd Walter wrote:

>>> This is absolutely known - TCP/nfs has bugs in realigning packets.
>>> Don't use TCP on strong aligned architectures.
>>
>> Still a pr with a proper backtrace would be nice.
>> Or does one exist already ?
>
> Not that I know.
> I did know exactly when this happens years ago.
> The backtrace as such will not help you as the panic happens much
> later than the cause.
> IIRC the basic problem was that the realignment code only fixes
> a single missalignment, while theres a chance for more then one.
> Verify nfs_realign in nfsserver and nfsclient to get an idea.
> If you are interested - I've found a (non-working) patch that I wrote
> for it, but the intention of it should be clear.

Sure. This is an nfsd specific problem,
Or does nfsclient have issues as well ?

I'll get a pr going to make sure that the issue
is documented, and possibly narrowed down enough for
other people to start painting a bikeshed about how
it should be fixed.

--
Sten Spans

"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
Leonard Cohen - Anthem