Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed May 25 16:03:07 PDT 2005

It's different, yes.  But the trouble is that you need a controlled
interrupt source--i.e., you have to have some concept of when an "event"
might have been handled (were it not for such and such activity).

I posit that without that counterfactual talking about PREEMPTION is
meaningless.

The technique I mentioned--measuring and comparing the jitter was intended
to quash measuring the performance of the network stack itself.

Do you have an idea how you can pose that counterfactual in a synthetic
arrangement more closely connected with the problem at hand?

-Jon