Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Krzysztof Kowalik kkowalik at uci.agh.edu.pl
Tue May 24 13:37:56 PDT 2005

Kris Kennaway [kris at obsecurity.org] wrote:
> > I didn't see any visible difference, in the given scenario of
> > uncompressing firefox's sources, when tried mpsafevfs's patches when
> > they got announced on current at .
> There have been a *lot* of changes in this area since the initial
> patches (i.e. continued removal of Giant), so you'd really need to
> re-test on a recent version of 6.0 to be definitive.

Could be. Though given my present experience with 5.4-RELEASE, where I
have no problems on my current hardware, I'd assume the issues I used to
observe were not really VFS/Giant related.

And yes, I ruled the USB issue out as well.

I will try to put my hands on the mentioned AMD box once again, to run
some current 6.0 on it.

--
Krzysztof Kowalik               |  () ASCII Ribbon Campaign
Computer Center, AGH UST        |  /\ Support plain text e-mail