Performance of 4.x vs 5.x (Re: Lifetime of FreeBSD branches)

Freddie Cash fcash at ocis.net
Tue May 24 12:27:26 PDT 2005

On May 24, 2005 12:14 pm, Scott Robbins wrote:
> On Tue, May 24, 2005 at 12:07:35PM -0700, Freddie Cash wrote:
> > There are two NOTES files for each CPU architecture.

> > One is for the CPU architecture dependent items and is located
> > at /usr/src/sys/<arch>/conf/NOTES  Just replace <arch> with the CPU
> > architecture (i386, amd64, etc).

> > The other is for items that apply to all CPU architectures, and is
> > located at /usr/src/sys/conf/NOTES.

> > You have to read both.  The PREEMPTION option is in the second file
> > above.

> Judging from the forums and various other things, it seems that a lot of
> people aren't aware of the second NOTES file.  (Of course, you can do
> make LINT while in <arch>/conf, which I blush to admit, is what I did
> before I realized the existance of the second NOTES file.  :)

From the top of /usr/src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES:

# NOTES -- Lines that can be cut/pasted into kernel and hints configs.
#
# This file contains machine dependent kernel configuration notes.  For
# machine independent notes, look in /sys/conf/NOTES.
#
# $FreeBSD: src/sys/i386/conf/NOTES,v 1.1168.2.5.2.2 2005/05/01 05:38:13
dwhite Exp $
#

Like they say, doesn't matter how good the documentation is if nobody reads
it fully.  :)

--
Freddie Cash
fcash at ocis.net