Lifetime of FreeBSD branches

Simon L. Nielsen simon at FreeBSD.org
Tue May 24 02:11:42 PDT 2005

On 2005.05.23 17:38:12 -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> On Mon, May 23, 2005 5:08 pm, Simon L. Nielsen said:
> > On 2005.05.23 16:51:18 -0400, Mike Jakubik wrote:
> >>
> >> Thanks for the info guys. Does this "security support" also mean that
> >> current ports will be compatible with the release?
> >
> > No, there are no guarantees about that.  The ports/ people generally
> > try to make things work with older releases, but there are no gurantees
> > there.  It's simply too much work to make such guarantees, and this is
> > after all an volunteer project (for most parts anyway). See also
> > http://www.freebsd.org/ports/ for the "official" statement.
>
> Right, i didnt think so. Debian is a volunteer project too, and their
> packaging system supports all of their branches.

But see how many branches they have to support - not many.  It's quite
a different question when you have new branches every < 6 months
compared to when you have one every few years.

> I guess i should look
> into rolling my own packages, to be sure. And yes, i realize that we just
> dont have an infrastructure for something like this.

Well, you always have the option to simply backport whatever fixes you
want yourself.  There are a good chance that most things will work for
quite a while.

--
Simon L. Nielsen