Lifetime of FreeBSD branches

Jon Dama jd at ugcs.caltech.edu
Mon May 23 20:17:39 PDT 2005

It might be beneficial (pipe-dream perhaps) if the all the BSDs coalesced
around one port/packaging system.  I hear that netbsd's port system has
the metadata necessary to support different OSs and different OS versions
within one coherent system.

What do you think about the relative strengths of pkgsrc and the FreeBSD
ports system?

-Jon