new base system snmpd

Gleb Smirnoff glebius at FreeBSD.org
Mon May 23 19:49:33 PDT 2005

  Vivek,

On Mon, May 23, 2005 at 11:12:50AM -0400, Vivek Khera wrote:
V> I see that 5.4-STABLE has an snmpd as core to the system.  Are there
V> any accompanying docs on how to use it?  The man page and sample
V> config file are all seemingly geared towards the personal
V> implementation of the author, and there is no information at all on
V> extending it.
V>
V> (this seems to be a big trend in features lately... serious lack of
V> documentation suitable for those who are not the software author...)

Yes, you are right. This fine piece of software is poorly documented. It
lacks a good doc for newbies to start with. A migration guide from
net-snmp would be important, too.

Volunteers are welcome. Although author doesn't have time to write
extended documentation, he is very responsive on questions. So, a
volunteer who takes this task will receive answers to all his questions.

P.S. Default configuration file and startup script have already been
committed to RELENG_5.

--
Totus tuus, Glebius.
GLEBIUS-RIPN GLEB-RIPE