Recent 5.4-p1 upgrade issue (lib/libc.so.5)

Jon Passki cykyc at yahoo.com
Mon May 23 10:24:17 PDT 2005

Hello,

I performed an unsupported way of installing and am soliciting what
I could do next time to prevent installation blues.  I'm not
expecting assistance from the Project, just some love :)

I have a build host that created what I needed for the host being
upgraded.  Once it's more polished, I'll be happy to share my
steps, but relatively it went well.  When I attempted to update
/lib/libc.so.5, though, I hit a bump.

I `chflags noschg /lib/libc.so.5` and then used tar to extract the
exact file.  tar was able to unlink the file, and then choked.
After some unrelated errors, I was in single user mode using
/rescue to save my rear end, which worked well enough.  Doing `ldd
/sbin/tar` hinted why it probably choked, since tar is dynamically
linked to /lib/libc.so.5.

Here's what gets me: I was able to do a the supported upgrade
process in an unsupported manner (multiuser mode via ssh w/o a
shutdown inbetween, nor going into signle user mode) w/ no issues
on the build host.  What occurs in that process (make buildworld;
make buildkernel; make installkernel; mergemaster -p; make
installworld; mergemaster) where libc can be replaced (assuming it
uses install(1), which is also linked against libc) without
failure, but using tar causes it to fail?  Ideas?

TIA,

Jon

PGP Fingerprint: 1BB0 A946 927B 93C3 ED6A  0466 6692 6C2C 84BE 4122

"Should any political party attempt to abolish social security, unemployment insurance, and eliminate labor laws and farm programs, you would not hear of that party again in our political history. There is a tiny splinter group, of course, that believes you can do these things. Among them are [...] a few other Texas oil millionaires, and an occasional politician or business man from other areas. Their number is negligible and they are stupid." [1]

-- Dwight D. Eisenhower, Former President of the USA (Republican), Nov. 8, 1954

[1] http://www.eisenhowermemorial.org/presidential-papers/first-term/documents/1147.cfm