nForce 4, SATA Drive only runs at UDMA33?

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sun May 22 12:09:32 PDT 2005

On Fri, 20 May 2005, alan bryan wrote:

> --- Doug White <dwhite at gumbysoft.com> wrote:
> > Can you post the output of "pciconf -lv"? The nForce
> > IDE controller is
> > properly detected, but it looks like there's another
> > one in the system.
> > Looking at the spec for the system it may be the
> > proprietary nVidia RAID
> > controller.  The pciconf output should help us
> > identify if thats the
> > issue.
>
> FYI: RAID features are disabled in the BIOS, I'm just
> trying to get a single SATA drive to work at full
> speed.  The other drive in this system is IDE and that
> seems to be working at proper speed.  Thanks for the
> help!

I guess turning off the RAID converts the chips into standard SATA
controllers. I'll have to look into that. An nForce 4 machine recently
appeared at work, so I'll see what I can get it to do.

> atapci0 at pci0:6:0:       class=0x01018a card=0x50361297
> chip=0x005310de rev=0xa2 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>     class    = mass storage
>     subclass = ATA
> atapci1 at pci0:7:0:       class=0x010185 card=0x50361297
> chip=0x005410de rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>     class    = mass storage
>     subclass = ATA
> atapci2 at pci0:8:0:       class=0x010185 card=0xcb8410de
> chip=0x005510de rev=0xa3 hdr=0x00
>     vendor   = 'NVIDIA Corporation'
>     class    = mass storage
>     subclass = ATA

It looks like sos added support for atapci1 and 2 in this listing in the
ATAmkIII patchset.  While that patchset is in -CURRENT you'll have to
apply the -stable patches yourself. Search the list archives for the
location, soren posts it now and again.