FreeBSD 5.3 forgets some of my users

Doug White dwhite at gumbysoft.com
Sun May 22 11:48:34 PDT 2005

Stripping -bugs and -current cc; this applies to -stable and isn't in
reference to an existing PR.

On Sat, 21 May 2005, [ISO-8859-1] Kövesdán Gábor wrote:

> Hello there,
>
> there is a strange thing.... FreeBSD 5.3 randomly frogets some of my
> users. Sometimes I see in the first column of the ps aux output the uid
> number instead of the login name, but next when I run it, there is the
> login name. Besides, I tried to chown a directory to an existing user,
> but the I get an error message, that there wasn't such user.

What are you using for user lookups?  Are you using nss_ldap or something
other than the default 'files' lookup?  Can you post the contents of
/etc/nsswitch.conf?

I'd also check your master.passwd file for any syntax errors or odd
characters and then force a rebuild with:

pwd_mkdb -p /etc/master.passwd

as root.