can't assign requested address with ntpd on 5-STABLE

Richard Coleman rcoleman at criticalmagic.com
Sun May 22 07:10:27 PDT 2005

On 5-STABLE, when I try to start ntpd, I get the following error: bind()
fd 7, family 28, port 123, addr fe80:1::2a0:c9ff:fec8:ea25,
in6_is_addr_multicast=0 flags=0 fails: Can't assign requested address

I've used netstat to check and nothing else is on that port (other than
sshd, there is nothing else on the box).

My ntp.conf line only has one line "server time-a.nist.gov".  All other
configuration for ntpd is the default.

I googled for this error and got several hits.  It was suggested to add
the line "disable auth" to ntp.conf.  But in this case I still received
the same error.

I'm am running a recent 5-STABLE box (built yesterday).  The kernel is
equivalant to GENERIC with the exception that I've commented out the
I486_CPU and i586_CPU lines.

Anyone else seen this recently.

Richard Coleman
rcoleman at criticalmagic.com