ggate failure in 5.4-STABLE

David Gilbert dgilbert at dclg.ca
Sat May 21 15:58:47 PDT 2005

I have a setup where I mirror disk using a remote ggate disk and a
local disk.  If the system is entirel quiescent, the rebuild will
occur flawlessly, but if the system is in use, I often get the
following during a rebuild (on the ggate client):

GEOM_MIRROR: Request failed (error=5). ggate2[WRITE(offset=95143855104, length=8192)]
GEOM_MIRROR: Device m2: provider ggate2 disconnected.
GEOM_MIRROR: Device m2: rebuilding provider ggate2 stopped.
GEOM_MIRROR: Request failed (error=5). ggate2[WRITE(offset=95143863296, length=8192)]

Now... on both the server and the client, the ggate processes are
still running.  On the server, there are no kernel log messages.
Specifically, there are no disk media errors.

I gather ggate has no error recovery at all.  Could a corrupted
network packet be causing this?  What do you all suspect the overall
bit rate of inexpensive GigE hubs is?

Dave.