Problems with portupgrade

Barry Pederson bp at barryp.org
Sat May 21 14:53:12 PDT 2005

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
> On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 02:47:28PM -0500, Barry Pederson wrote:
 >>
>>Did you perhaps upgrade your Perl earlier? so that perhaps the existing
>>installed dependant ports are Perl packages for 5.6.1, but you now have
>>5.6.2 and portupgrade thinks your dependant packages should be for that
>>- but it can't install them because the older versions for 5.6.1 are in
>>place.
>

> I did recently go from 5.8 to 5.6. So that means all my perl stuff needs
> to re-install? That doesn't really make any sense...

Yeah, that'll do it.  A lot of those Perl modules are not pure Perl, and
contain compiled shared libraries (try; find /usr/local/lib/perl5 -name
"*.so").

It's kind of a pain - I'm not at all a Perl fan myself, but have fought
with it just to get SpamAssassin running.  Too bad they don't handle it
the way Python modules are handled, where the same port of a Python
module can be installed multiple times for multiple versions of Python.

Anyhow, /usr/ports/UPGRADING talks about upgrading all Perl
dependencies.  This page also quotes the same info

     http://www.freshports.org/lang/perl5.8

	Barry