rdist6 won't let root use ssh transport

Tim Howe tim.howe at celebrityresorts.com
Wed May 18 12:28:36 PDT 2005

Vivek Khera <vivek at khera.org> writes:

> FreeBSD 5 doesn't include the stock rdist anymore, so I'm migrating my
> processes to use the rdist6 port.  However, it seems that if you run
> rdist6 as root, it ignores the -P /usr/bin/ssh flag an tries to use
> rcmd directly, which fails since my target systems do not have that
> service running.

Might I suggest looking into rsync?  It has excellent support for ssh
(and in modern versions even defaults to using it for transport) and in
general I've found it more amenable to scripting and sensible defaults
than rdist.  I and colleagues had excellent luck at a past employer of
mine porting rdist-based applications to rsync for additional
functionality, and currently I use it for certain semi-automated
processes as root (with proper options in sshd_config,
password-protected keys for root, and ssh-agent, of course).

MHO, YMMV, etc, but from my experience rsync has largely supplanted
rdist for good reason.

Also, I don't want to devolve into advocacy, but if anyone is curious I
might be able to get more details on their respective benefits and the
issues that were encountered in enterprise-level migration.

--
Tim Howe
Software Engineer

--
Tim Howe
Software Engineer

Celebrity Resorts
4700 Millenia Blvd., 6th Floor
Orlando, FL  32839
407-996-3025 (direct)
407-996-3029 (fax)
tim.howe at celebrityresorts.com

Confidentiality Note: This e-mail sent by Tim Howe /
tim.howe at celebrityresorts.com, and any attachment to it,
contains privileged and confidential information intended only for the
use of the individual(s) or entity named on the e-mail. If the reader
of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee or agent
responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that reading this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If
you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately return it
to the sender and delete it from your system.

Virus Note: This e-mail and any attachment(s) are believed to be free
from virus. However, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure
that they are virus free. We do not accept any liability for any loss or
damage arising in any way from the receipt, opening or use of this
e-mail and any attachment(s). Thank you.