Remote Printing

Matthias Buelow mkb at incubus.de
Sat May 14 16:32:04 PDT 2005

ya hoo wrote:

> I been reading FreeBSd docs on remote pritning.
> It mostly talks about setting up a local printer.
> In which case, I could care less about since I want to
> print to my HP Jetdirect print server.
> Mainly, I really don't want to install CUPS. I would
> just like to use the default lp that comes with
> FreeBSD.
> Can anyone direct me in the right direction?

You probably also want to use the options of your printer
(single/doublesided, short/long edge, resolution, input tray, paper
type, etc.)  In that case I recommend getting the foomatic-rip filter (a
single large perl script) from linuxprinting.org/foomatic-rip, which
parses your printer's PPD file (which normally comes with the printer,
or is available from the vendor's site.)

I haven't gotten local filters to work with remote printers plus passing
arguments to them with the antique base lpr, so I installed LPRng.
Easier to set up and more transparent than cups in any case (but you
have to remove/rename the base lpr and put NO_LPR=yes into make.conf).

mkb.