gmirror

Pawel Jakub Dawidek pjd at FreeBSD.org
Sat May 14 07:16:07 PDT 2005

On Sat, May 14, 2005 at 05:57:51PM +0400, Vladimir Dzhivsanoff wrote:
+> > This is the way RAID1 works. Try to imagine how disk's heads are moving -
+> > there will be no speed-up in sequential reads, this is not RAID0.
+> >
+> > Mirror characteristics are:
+> > - the same speed for sequential reads as for one disk;
+> > - the same speed for sequential/random write as for one disk;
+> > - double speed of one disk for random reads;
+> by what test-suite I can test it ?
+> and what balance algorithm is more proper for random reads ?

There is my tool in ports (benchmarks/raidtest/) which does what you want.
The README file wasn't moved to ports, IIRC, you can find it here:

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/tools/tools/raidtest/Attic/README?rev=1.2&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&hideattic=0