PTHREAD_INVARIANTS in 5.x

Daniel Eischen deischen at freebsd.org
Wed May 11 19:53:31 PDT 2005

On Wed, 11 May 2005, Jonathan Noack wrote:

> I checked out _PTHREADS_INVARIANTS for libthr and libpthread on CURRENT.
>   As far as I can tell, all but one of the defines under
> _PTHREADS_INVARIANTS are ASSERTs; they check for a condition and if it
> is false result in a fatal error.  These should be very visible if they
> are being tripped.  Only MUTEX_INIT_LINK actually *does* something.  It
> is defined in src/lib/libpthread/thread/thr_mutex.c at lines 43-46 and
> in src/lib/libthr/thread/thr_mutex.c at lines 44-47:
>
> #define MUTEX_INIT_LINK(m)              do {            \
>          (m)->m_qe.tqe_prev = NULL;                      \
>          (m)->m_qe.tqe_next = NULL;                      \
> } while (0)
>
> I'm not sure what impact removing this explicit initialization would
> have.  If we're not seeing fatal errors, everything else is just slowing
> us down.  Assuming we feel our thread implementations are production
> worthy, we should disable these checks for releases.  That is, unless I
> am missing something...

I wrote the darn things, and they are useful in that they can
provide useful information if there are bugs and also for
detecting if the application is linked to multiple thread
libraries.  For the init links macro, it is only used when
the mutex is initialized and on unlock.  It's two instructions.
The others are also just a couple of instructions and shouldn't
be called often.

This is way overblown and they're other areas for much
better optimizations than worrying about a couple of
instructions.  Perhaps if it were called _PTHREAD_ROBUST
instead of _PTHREAD_INVARIANTS, noone would notice ;-)

That's the last I'll say.  re@ can do whatever they want
with my blessing.

--
DE