xl(4) & polling

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Wed May 11 07:30:07 PDT 2005

--- Ruslan Ermilov <ru at freebsd.org> wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:43:09AM -0700, Rob wrote:
> > I actually doubt whether the default values of
> > these sysctl variables would cause the problem.
> >
> No.  Can you observe the broken IP/TCP/UDP
> checksums?
>
> netstat -ss -f inet |grep -w bad

Argh, just found out that it is not the polling.
Even without the polling, the ssh-tunnel connection
gets disrupted, although not as frequent as with
the polling. Possibly, the polling makes the problem
more visible, but it not the culprit.

My apologies for the noise.

I don't know yet exactly what it is. I use a script
to test whether the ssh-tunnel is still alive; if
not, then the tunnel is renewed. This script has
worked like a charm for almost 6 months.
Don't know what's has changed in the meantime.

Also, four PCs are part of this ssh-tunnel, which
makes it rather complex to pin-point the problem :(.

Anyway, that's my problem.
Most important: the xl polling seems OK.

Meanwhile I have learned a lot more about what
polling actually is!

Thanks,
Rob.