Use PCMCIA instead of CardBus?

Kirk Strauser kirk at strauser.com
Wed May 11 07:13:53 PDT 2005

On Tuesday 10 May 2005 16:15, Warner Losh wrote:

> I have no idea what you are asking for.

Let me restate my original dilemma.  My laptop can only use my WLAN card
when it's configured as a 16-bit PCMCIA device and not as a 32-bit CardBus
device.

In NetBSD, this can be accomplished by typing "boot -c" at its loader prompt
and typing "disable cbb*" to disable the cbb (CardBus) drivers, which
leaves the pcic (PCMCIA) drivers to correctly configure the card.  After
doing this, the card works exactly as hoped.

Similarly, I can get the same effect under Linux by disabling the "32-bit
CardBus support" option; the end result is a happily working WLAN card.

However, commenting out "device cbb" in my FreeBSD kernel results in a
non-working setup.  By that, I mean that the card's lights never flicker as
it's being inserted (as it would do under NetBSD and Linux when it's being
probed).  In fact, I get no debugging information at all, whether
from /var/log/messages or via dmesg.

Any ideas where I could go from here?
--
Kirk Strauser