freebsd-stable Digest, Vol 109, Issue 6

Michael Schuh michael.schuh at gmail.com
Wed May 11 03:07:35 PDT 2005

Hi,

i think the setting of HZ has nothing to do with DEVICE_POLLING at once.
So the Documentation say's DEVICE_POLLING is an Other way to get the
Packets from the Ethernet.

I have setted HZ=2000 on all my machines, equal if the Processor is an PI 200MHz
or an PIII 866MHz

In fact this setting gave me the best results on:

PI200 w/o MMX
PI200 w/ MMX
AMDK6-300
AMDK6-450
PIII 866
Athlon XP2000+

All Machines i have used with xL devies like 3C905B, Cyclone and the other
3C905's.

Only difference between the real Problem and my Enviroments is i use only
RELENG_4 (i be a little pedantic and konservative with stability and
performance).

greetings

Michael